Thursday, August 13, 2009

Book Reading needs to be encouraged

Books give us a nice platform, expand your horizons, helps you cope with the stress and anxiety, makes you all the more creative as you start imagining and connecting with the characters, helps to learn important life skills, positive life choices and all round well-being.

The ultimate point I want to focus here is that there is nothing negative or bad that I hear or read about books. However, the fact remains that I personally do not like reading much. I mean that the book really has to influence me a lot so that I am motivated to read it. As little kids there used to be comic books like Archie, Chacha Chaudhary, Cindrella, Champak etc that I read a lot. However, as I grew up, the crunch of books at my native place hold back my reading habit.

After joining hostel, the crave to read some books developed and I thought of giving it a try. I issued one of the Chetan Bhagat’s popular books and finished it in six days. Quite a long time though, another book issued by me was in another four months. This time I reissued it for almost five times but did not bother to read it. Finally, I decided to return it with only five pages of reading. Bad score though; I felt there should be books with titles and content that actually lures me to read it.

In this regard when I went to the bookstore as for the assignment purpose, I found that there are many good books by Indian authors, who are still on the shelves of these stores and waiting for purchase. What do you think guys- Shouldn’t the book stores themselves have the provision of allowing readers to read books with some nominal charges? Or they can have Book café or Cha Bar as in Delhi based Oxford Book Store wherein the readers can read books or can even take pause while discovering books. Can’t we have the same book café in other small cities as well?

No comments: