Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy to Help...!!


This is an experience of my early childhood days when I and my brother were in school. I think I was of 11 years old then and my brother was of 9. It was our winter vacations going on and our mom had asked us to stay inside the house by the time she would come from the market. This was the freedom that as kids we enjoyed the most and both of us made a plan to go on terrace and look into the nest made by birds on the branch of the tree that we had discovered the previous day.

We were waiting for our mom to go out with great excitement and were very cheerful about the thought. We both loved the way birds sit on nest, feed their baby and would hop around. As soon as she went out, our excitement knew no bounds. We thought of carrying some crushed biscuits with us along with a glass of water. We were just about to implement on the plan we had made when on terrace we found that there was some other bird lying on the floor with the bruised wings because of which it was unable to fly.

We thought of healing the poor bird and asked my brother to take care of it by the time I brought dettol and ointment for it. As a kid I had been observing my father the way he had been giving us first aid when we would get hurt. I applied a bit of dettol and a lot of ointment on the body of the bird. Then my brother gave me a wonderful idea of covering the bird with the handkerchief so that it does not catch cold. My brother kept biscuit and water meant for the other bird.

Soon our mother too returned from the market and we decided not to tell her about the incident. We were in a state of dilemma because we thought that we might get scolding for not obeying her. After half an hour of thinking we told our mom the whole story. To our surprise she acknowledged our deed and went upstairs. We went with her to the nearby animal doctor and saved its life. We both gained praise from the doctor and the other family members. The bird was saved with the little effort by both of us. Besides, we were sure that we shouldn’t hide anything from our parents as they will help us if were right.
(Picture coutesy- greenerloudoun.wordpress.com/.../stewardship/)

No comments: